Welcome to my blog!

Hello, I am a self-trained artist with a fun, dark sense of humour. Enjoy my work and the crazy impetus behind them!

Thursday 23 June 2011

"The First Unicorn" or ~"CREDO: I believe!"

Unicorn #1~India Ink


I believe in magic again. I do. Since I started REALLY drawing again three years ago I've gotten back in touch with my inner child. I had a wonderful childhood, filled with memories of drawing and scampering around rivers and more drawing and more rivers.
Many months ago now, I was looking at some of the drawings I had taken down in gesture drawing, and was struck by the confidence of the model. She is the kind of model that makes the room just drop away. We don't exist. We artists on the periphery are lucky we get to be there and observe, but I sense that modelling time is her time to build confidence and strength. It shines out of the markings.
I was also thinking of my confident, beautiful friend. She is a "unicorn:" a beautiful, single woman in the swinger lifestyle. She has taught me so much about self-esteem, sensuality, and how to get in touch with your emotions, good and bad ones, and face them. It's not all we talk about; as artists, our conversations roam everywhere, but it comes up, naturally. Now, when I feel crummy and ugly and old I stop for a minute and think "hmmmm... why am I thinking that?" And suddenly ugly and old doesn't even matter.
This Unicorn is an homage to all beautiful, mythical things that we never think will appear in our lives, but certainly do. I think it's time we all allowed a bit MORE mythology into our lives. Yeah yeah the Enlightenment was fun for some people, but we lost our Inner Child as a species.... all Order with no heart led to the Third Reich, after all. We can step back from our cold, calculated greed. We just inherited it; that doesn't mean we have to keep it. I say bring on the magic, bring in the myth. Let me sacrifice a dove to Venus today on an altar, please. I want to experience May Day the way May Day was meant to be experienced. Where is our Feast of Fools?
All I can offer you is this: a unicorn that knows no shame. 


Unicorn #2 ~pencil crayon

My Unicorn promotes herself well: this is her on the cover of Rolling Thunder Quarterly. Such a singular honour to have my drawing chosen to represent the spirit of written words. Seeing my work on a book cover was a fulfillment of a life-long dream. At 32. So, now that's in the bag, off to bigger things....


2 comments:

  1. :) huge smile. so glad i could and so honored to have that on the cover of the quarterly. to be honest, seeing the unicorn for the first time was really what tipped the scales in my decision to put together a quarterly. if i hadnt stumbled upon it, i probably wouldnt have been so inspired to do it...i saw that and knew it was the cover, and that i had to put a deserving publication behind it. now this blog makes me appreciate the magic of the unicorn all the more...the meaning behind this gorgeous symbol is so beautifully profound. and so well put! let's make our own feast of fools and find a dove for that altar! (p.s., your next assignment is to find a secret sacred book called "the chymical wedding of christian rosenkreutz" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC work ..... makes me wonder what a rainbow tastes like LOL

    ReplyDelete