Welcome to my blog!

Hello, I am a self-trained artist with a fun, dark sense of humour. Enjoy my work and the crazy impetus behind them!

Thursday 9 June 2011

a soft focus


Like a child gazing into a mirror for the first few times, I am fascinated with the idealized images of myself I put down on paper. I know why I do it. It's a textbook case of self-exploration and a need to boost my self-esteem. It's also my way of sorting through all the powerful emotions...
Creative types are moody. No-one will contest that.
It is easier for me to draw myself as the helmeted and goggled warrior that I wish to be, but images revealing the softer side are harder for me and usually turn out looking awful. This one turned out alright - I was revelling in good company and a few too many drinks, and managed to put down on paper the way I felt. The original is done with gold ink from a friend's brushpen, so it shines in the light....

Other times I like to explore the lives I would love to live. I'm sure writers do it too :) Below is today's drawing of a flapper smoking the Devil's weed - a fine portrayal of another inner self.





No comments:

Post a Comment