Welcome to my blog!

Hello, I am a self-trained artist with a fun, dark sense of humour. Enjoy my work and the crazy impetus behind them!

Thursday 2 June 2011


My family and I just moved recently, and one of the best things that came from the move was finding all the STUFF that had hidden itself away over the years. I uncovered this painting from 1999, back when I was still a teenager! I was so happy to have found this particular painting.
Firstly, I know nothing of how to paint. I just jump in and do it. I'm proud to see how I managed back then, and understood that working from life creates vivid, energetic images.
Secondly, this room is very special to me. This is the upper bedroom in my grandparents' home in Tweed, Ontario. I adore the poppy wallpaper. The window looks out onto a wall of morning glories. Nearly every night in that part of Ontario a storm whips up, and I would throw the window completely open and stand in the rage of those amazing storms.
My grandparents always gave me alot of space as a little girl, since that's what I needed.... I really found who I was in those moments sipping from a bone china mug with roses on it.... just thinking.....

1 comment:

  1. Like your new blog, Sarah-Joy. Beautiful story (and painting!) about the room and how art can revive important memories. Nice statement on the need for space - and how your grandparents gave it to you.

    Kim Goldberg

    ReplyDelete